Swimlanes are an advanced feature that helps visualize how work is distributed in your organization. It splits a TopLeft Kanban board into multiple swimlanes, where each swimlane shows the cards for a distinct property of the cards. For example, you can make a swimlane board by ticket resource, which shows a swimlane for each member that has tickets assigned, as well as a swimlane for tickets with no assigned technician. This makes it very easy to see how work is distributed among your members.
All the swimlanes share the same column configuration, and the top of the page shows a summary of each column with the WIP limits for that column and the number of tickets in that column in all swimlanes.
You can collapse a swimlane to temporarily hide it from view - just click the icon beside the swimlane header.
Swimlanes change the layout of a board. On a non-swimlane page, the board columns scroll to show all cards, but the page as a whole does not scroll vertically. But on a swimlane board, both the columns scroll and the whole page scrolls to allow viewing all the swimlanes.
Here are the fields you can use for swimlanes:
For ticket boards:
- Project Manager
- Resource - this will show a ticket in multiple swimlanes if a ticket has multiple resources
- ConnectWise Board
For sales boards:
- Opportunity Type
- Sales Rep
- Inside Rep
For activity boards:
For project boards:
- Project Team Member
- Percentage Complete
- Estimated Start
You can also set swimlane fields to several types of custom fields for these records. These fields will be listed in the swimlane field dropdown after the regular swimlane types mentioned above. Connectwise does not provide TopLeft with sort ordering for any custom fields, so swimlanes will be ordered alphabetically. Currently custom field swimlanes support these custom field types:
- Entry fields
- Radio Options
For Ticket Boards:
For Task Boards:
For Project Boards:
- Project Lead Resource
User Defined Fields
You can also set swimlane fields to several types of User Defined Fields for these records. These fields will be listed in the swimlane field dropdown after the regular swimlane types mentioned above. Autotask does not provide TopLeft with any sort ordering, so UDF swimlanes will be ordered alphabetically. Currently UDF swimlanes support these field types:
- Text (Truncated to 100 characters)
- List (Single Line)
Dragging Between Resource Swimlanes
Cards can be dragged between resource swimlanes to assign and remove members assigned to the ticket. Cards cannot be dragged across non resource swimlanes. (We're considering making this possible- let us know if this is something that would rock your world.)
For ConnectWise Manage Kanban boards:
When dragging across resource swimlanes:
- Moving a ticket will remove the member whose swimlane it is originating from, and add the member whose swimlane it is placed in. This will only affect the two members, origin and destination, any other members on a ticket will not be modified.
- Moving a project ticket will not let you move a ticket to a member who is not assigned to that project. This is the same when changing it from the menu on a ticket.
- A ticket's status cannot be changed as you drag it between swimlanes. Currently you can either drag between columns, or between swimlanes, but not both simultaneously.
- If you drag a ticket from a member to the 'No Resource Assigned' swimlane, it will remove all members from that ticket, not just the member whose swimlane the ticket originated.
For Autotask PSA Kanban boards:
When dragging tickets or tasks across resource swimlanes:
Moving a card between resource swimlanes changes the ticket or task's primary resource. Secondary resources are not changed. When the card is dropped in the destination swimlane, if the resource has multiple possible roles for the card then a dialog opens and you are prompted to select the resource role.
A card's status cannot be changed as you drag it between swimlanes. You can either drag between columns, or between swimlanes, but not both simultaneously.
If you drag a card from a resource to the 'No assigned resource' swimlane, it will remove all resources from that card, both primary and secondary, not just the resource whose swimlane the card originated from.